Posted on 2013-02-03. By anonymous.
2012 | 8 hours and 4 mins | ISBN: n/a , ASIN: B005CWK6Y6 | MP3 53 kbps (vbr) | 248 MB
In the summer of 1916, Dorothy Woodruff and Rosamond Underwood, close friends from childhood and graduates of Smith College, left home in Auburn, New York, for the wilds of northwestern Colorado. Bored by their soci-ety luncheons, charity work, and the effete young men who courted them, they learned that two teach-ing jobs were available in a remote mountaintop schoolhouse and applied - shocking their families and friends. "No young lady in our town," Dorothy later commented, "had ever been hired by anybody."
They took the new railroad over the Continental Divide and made their way by spring wagon to the tiny settlement of Elkhead, where they lived with a family of homesteaders. They rode several miles to school each day on horseback, sometimes in blinding blizzards. Their students walked or skied on barrel staves, in tattered clothes and shoes tied together with string. The man who had lured them out west was Ferry Carpenter, a witty, idealistic, and occasionally outrageous young lawyer and cattle rancher. He had promised them the adventure of a lifetime and the most modern schoolhouse in Routt County; he hadn't let on that the teachers would be considered dazzling prospective brides for the locals.
That year transformed the children, their families, and the undaunted teachers themselves. Dorothy and Rosamond learned how to handle unruly children who had never heard the Pledge of Allegiance and thought Ferry Carpenter was the president of the United States; they adeptly deflected the amorous advances of hopeful cowboys; and they saw one of their closest friends violently kidnapped by two coal miners. Carpenter's marital scheme turned out to be more successful than even he had hoped and had a surprising twist some forty years later.
- Ebooks list page : 21259
- 2020-10-11World War Two: Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West [Audiobook]
- 2012-11-23To Say Nothing of the Dog (Audiobook) (repost)
- 2011-12-31Philosophy and Religion in the West (Audiobook) - Removed
- 2023-01-07Shadow State Murder, Mayhem, and Russia's Remaking of the West [Audiobook]
- 2022-08-26Autumn of the Black Snake The Creation of the U.S. Army and the Invasion That Opened the West (Audiobook)
- 2022-08-04In Defense of German Colonialism And How Its Critics Empowered Nazis, Communists, and the Enemies of the West [Audiobook]
- 2022-07-29An Immigrant's Love Letter to the West (Audiobook)
- 2022-07-09The Pursuit of Equality in the West [Audiobook]
- 2022-06-25The War on the West [Audiobook]
- 2022-06-25Sky Rider Park Van Tassel and the Rise of Ballooning in the West [Audiobook]
- 2022-03-23The Invention of Power Popes, Kings, and the Birth of the West (Audiobook)
- 2021-11-16Naissance The Transformation Of The West (audiobook)
- 2021-08-25Renaissance: The Transformation of the West (Audiobook)
- 2021-08-25Renaissance The Transformation of the West (Audiobook)
- 2021-06-04From the River to the Sea: The Untold Story of the Railroad War that Made the West [Audiobook]
- 2020-11-19American Zion Cliven Bundy, God & Public Lands in the West [Audiobook]
- 2020-10-11The Devil's Pleasure Palace: The Cult of Critical Theory and the Subversion of the West [Audiobook]
- 2020-06-29Putin's People: How the KGB Took Back Russia and Then Turned on the West [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-15Sword and Scimitar Fourteen Centuries of War between Islam and the West [Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.