Posted on 2018-01-29, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Lionel Kimble Jr | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 216 | ISBN: 0809334267 | ISBN13: 9780809334261 |
Description: During the Great Migration of the 1920s and 1930s, southern African Americans flocked to the South Side Chicago community of Bronzeville, the cultural, political, social, and economic hub of African American life in the city, if not the Midwest. The area soon became the epicenter of community activism as working-class African Americans struggled for equality in housing and employment. In this study, Lionel Kimble Jr. demonstrates how these struggles led to much of the civil rights activism that occurred from 1935 to 1955 in Chicago and shows how this working-class activism and culture helped to ground the early civil rights movement. Despite the obstacles posed by the Depression, blue-collar African Americans worked with leftist organizations to counter job discrimination and made strong appeals to New Deal allies for access to public housing. Kimble details how growing federal intervention in local issues during World War II helped African Americans make significant inroads into Chicago's war economy and how returning African American World War II veterans helped to continue the fight against discrimination in housing and employment after the war. The activism that appeared in Bronzeville was not simply motivated by the class consciousness rhetoric of the organized labor movement but instead grew out of everyday struggles for racial justice, citizenship rights, and improved economic and material conditions. With its focus on the role of working-class African Americansas opposed to the middle-class leaders who have received the most attention from civil rights historians in the pastA New Deal for Bronzeville makes a significant contribution to the study of civil rights work in the Windy City and enriches our understanding of African American life in mid-twentieth-century Chicago.
A New Deal for Bronzeville: Housing, Employment, and Civil Rights in Black Chicago, 1935-1955.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35769
- 2018-01-27[PDF] A New Basis for Animal Ethics: Telos and Common Sense
- 2018-01-02[PDF] All New Tricks for Trainers: 57 Tricks and Techniques to Grab and Hold the Attention of Any Audience...and Get Magical Results
- 2017-12-04[PDF] A New Gospel for Women: Katharine Bushnell and the Challenge of Christian Feminism
- 2017-01-09[PDF] A New Gospel for Women: Katharine Bushnell and the Challenge of Christian Feminism
- 2018-01-14[PDF] The Long Quest for Identity: Political Identity and Fundamental Rights Protection in the European Union (Lisbon Philosophical Studies - Uses of Languages in Interdisciplinary Fields)
- 2017-10-28[PDF] On the Margins of Citizenship: Intellectual Disability and Civil Rights in Twentieth-Century America
- 2017-04-07[PDF] Impact of Circular Migration on Human, Political and Civil Rights: A Global Perspective (United Nations University Series on Regionalism)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] The GI Bill: The New Deal for Veterans (Pivotal Moments in American History)
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The GI Bill: The New Deal for Veterans (Pivotal Moments in American History)
- 2011-07-03A New Biology for the 21st Century
- 2008-06-05[request]The New Paradigm for Financial Markets: The Credit Crisis of 2008
- 2022-03-24A New Deal for the Humanities Liberal Arts and the Future of Public Higher Education
- 2021-04-24Reimagining Equality: A New Deal for Children of Color
- 2021-04-16Reimagining Equality: A New Deal for Children of Color
- 2021-04-09Reimagining Equality: A New Deal for Children of Color
- 2021-01-13The GI Bill The New Deal for Veterans
- 2019-01-30A New Deal for Transport The UK's Struggle with the Sustainable Transport Agenda
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The New Paradigm for Financial Markets: The Credit Crisis of 2008 and What It Means
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Nature's New Deal: The Civilian Conservation Corps and the Roots of the American Environmental Movement
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.