Posted on 2018-01-10, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Ivan Kalmar | Publisher: Routledge | Category: Religion Other | Language: English | Page: 192 | ISBN: 0415782767 | ISBN13: 9780415782760 |
Description: The history of western notions about Islam is of obvious scholarly as well as popular interest today. This book investigates Christian images of the Muslim Middle East, focusing on the period from the Renaissance to the Enlightenment, when the nature of divine as well as human power was under particularly intense debate in the West. Ivan Kalmar explores how the controversial notion of submission to ultimate authority has in the western world been discussed with reference to Islams alleged recommendation to obey, unquestioningly, a merciless Allah in heaven and a despotic government on earth. He discusses how Abrahamic faiths Christianity and Judaism as much as Islam demand devotion to a sublime power, with the faith that this power loves and cares for us, a concept that brings with it the fear that, on the contrary, this power only toys with us for its own enjoyment. For such a power, Kalmar borrows Slavoj Zizeks term "obscene father". He discusses how this describes exactly the western image of the Oriental despot - Allah in heaven, and the various sultans, emirs and ayatollahs on earth and how these despotic personalities of imagined Muslim society function as a projection, from the West on to the Muslim Orient, of an existential anxiety about sublime power. Making accessible academic debates on the history of Christian perceptions of Islam and on Islam and the West, this book is an important addition to the existing literature in the areas of Islamic studies, religious history and philosophy.
Early Orientalism: Imagined Islam and the Notion of Sublime Power (Islamic Studies Series).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35189
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Early Orientalism: Imagined Islam and the Notion of Sublime Power (Islamic Studies Series)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Overpotential: Fuel Cells, Futurism, and the Making of a Power Panacea (Studies in Modern Science, Technology, and the Environment)
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Planning Democracy: Agrarian Intellectuals and the Intended New Deal (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2017-01-16[PDF] Planning Democracy: Agrarian Intellectuals and the Intended New Deal (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Early Investigations of Ceres and the Discovery of Pallas: Historical Studies in Asteroid Research - Removed
- 2017-11-15[PDF] God's Crucible: Islam and the Making of Europe, 570-1215
- 2017-10-20[PDF] Market Orientalism: Cultural Economy and the Arab Gulf States
- 2017-02-09[PDF] God's Crucible: Islam and the Making of Europe, 570-1215
- 2018-06-18Islamic Leviathan Islam and the Making of State Power (Religion and Global Politics)
- 2018-06-08Islamic Leviathan Islam and the Making of State Power (Religion and Global Politics)
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Isaiah Shembe S Hymns and the Sacred Dance in Ibandla Lamanazaretha (Studies of Religion in Africa)
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Courtesy Lost: Dante, Boccaccio, and the Literature of History (Toronto Italian Studies) [Italian]
- 2017-12-27[PDF] Retailising Space: Architecture, Retail and the Territorialisation of Public Space (Ashgate Studies in Architecture)
- 2017-11-28[PDF] Model Nazi: Arthur Greiser and the Occupation of Western Poland (Oxford Studies in Modern European History)
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Activation or Workfare? Governance and the Neo-Liberal Convergence (International Policy Exchange Series)
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Malcolm X, Black Liberation, and the Road to Workers Power
- 2017-11-05[PDF] Every Twelve Seconds: Industrialized Slaughter and the Politics of Sight (Yale Agrarian Studies Series)
- 2017-10-19[PDF] Classification Theory, Second Edition: and the Number of Non-Isomorphic Models (Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics)
- 2017-10-13[PDF] Strategically Created Treaty Conflicts and the Politics of International Law (Cambridge Studies in International and Comparative Law)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.