[PDF] Katrina: After the Flood
Posted on 2017-10-28, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Gary Rivlin | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 1451692226 |
Description: Ten years after Hurricane Katrina made landfall in southeast Louisianaâ€”on August 29, 2005â€”journalist Gary Rivlin traces the stormâ€™s immediate damage, the city of New Orleansâ€™s efforts to rebuild itself, and the stormâ€™s lasting effects not just on the cityâ€™s geography and infrastructureâ€”but on the psychic, racial, and social fabric of one of this nationâ€™s great cities. Much of New Orleans still sat under water the first time Gary Rivlin glimpsed the city after Hurricane Katrina. Then a staff reporter for The New York Times, he was heading into the city to survey the damage. The Interstate was eerily empty. Soldiers in uniform and armed with assault rifles stopped him. Water reached the eaves of houses for as far as the eye could see. Four out of every five housesâ€”eighty percent of the cityâ€™s housing stockâ€”had been flooded. Around that same proportion of schools and businesses were wrecked. The weight of all that water on the streets cracked gas and water and sewer pipes all around town and the deluge had drowned almost every power substation and rendered unusable most of the cityâ€™s water and sewer system. People living in flooded areas of the city could not be expected to pay their property taxes for the foreseeable future. Nor would all those boarded-up businessesâ€”21,000 of the cityâ€™s 22,000 businesses were still shuttered six months after the stormâ€”be contributing their share of sales taxes and other fees to the cityâ€™s coffers. Six weeks after the storm, the city laid off half its workforceâ€”precisely when so many people were turning to its government for help. Meanwhile, cynics both in and out of the Beltway were questioning the use of taxpayer dollars to rebuild a city that sat mostly below sea level. How could the city possibly come back? This book traces the stories of New Orleanians of all stripesâ€”politicians and business owners, teachers and bus drivers, poor and wealthy, black and whiteâ€”as they confront the aftermath of one of the great tragedies of our age and reconstruct, change, and in some cases abandon a city thatâ€™s the soul of this nation.
Katrina: After the Flood.pdf
Sponsored High Speed Downloads
7568 dl's @ 2504 KB/sDownload Now [Full Version]
9181 dl's @ 3447 KB/sDownload Link 1 - Fast Download
5189 dl's @ 3505 KB/sDownload Mirror - Direct Download
Search More...[PDF] Katrina: After the Flood
Download this book
No active download links here?Please check the description for download links if any or do a search to find alternative books.
- Ebooks list page : 32847
- 2022-07-16After The Dark Clouds Free Download
- 2017-10-23[PDF] After the Flood: World Politics and Democracy in the Wake of Communism
- 2017-10-06[PDF] From Noah to Israel: Realization of the Primaeval Blessing After the Flood (The Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies)
- 2011-09-21Nelson - After The Rain
- 2022-12-24Man After The Flood
- 2020-07-16After the Flood: What the Dambusters Did Next
- 2019-12-21After the Flood: Imagining the Global Environment in Early Modern Europe - Removed
- 2019-12-07After the Flood : Imagining the Global Environment in Early Modern Europe - Removed
- 2018-12-07After the Flood World Politics and Democracy in the Wake of Communism
- 2018-11-21After the Flood World Politics and Democracy in the Wake of Communism
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Conflict After the Cold War: Arguments on Causes of War and Peace - Removed
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Cyberfiction: After the Future - Removed
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Culture after the Hurricanes: Rhetoric and Reinvention on the Gulf Coast
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Damascus after the Muslim Conquest: Text and Image in Early Islam
- 2017-12-23[PDF] Theology after the Birth of God: Atheist Conceptions in Cognition and Culture - Removed
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Supersymmetry After the Higgs Discovery - Removed
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Psychology After the Crisis: Scientific paradigms and political debate (Psychology After Critique)
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Fashions After the Era of Jane Austen: Ackermann's Repository of Arts
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Outside (After the Fall Book 1)
No comments for "[PDF] Katrina: After the Flood".
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.