Posted on 2017-12-17, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Raphael van Riel | Category: Philosophy | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 3319041614 |
Description: This volume investigates the notion of reduction. Building on the idea that philosophers employ the term 'reduction' to reconcile diversity and directionality with unity, without relying on elimination, the book offers a powerful explication of an "ontological", notion of reduction the extension of which is (primarily) formed by properties, kinds, individuals, or processes. It argues that related notions of reduction, such as theory-reduction and functional reduction, should be defined in terms of this explication. Thereby, the book offers a coherent framework, which sheds light on the history of the various reduction debates in the philosophy of science and in the philosophy of mind, and on related topics such as reduction and unification, the notion of a scientific level, and physicalism. The book takes its point of departure in the examination of a puzzle about reduction. To illustrate, the book takes as an example the reduction of water. If water reduces to H2O, then water is identical to H2O - thus we get unity. Unity does not come at the price of elimination - claiming that water reduces to H2O, we do not thereby claim that there is no water. But what about diversity and directionality? Intuitively, there should be a difference between water and H2O, such that we get diversity. This is required for there to be directionality: in a sense, if water reduces to H2O, then H2O is prior to, or more basic than water. At least, if water reduces to H2O, then H2O does not reduce to water. But how can this be, if water is identical to H2O? The book shows that the application of current models of reduction does not solve this puzzle, and proposes a new coherent definition, according to which unity is tied to identity, diversity is descriptive in nature, and directionality is the directionality of explanation.
The Concept of Reduction (Philosophical Studies Series).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34470
- 2014-04-15The Concept of Reduction (Philosophical Studies Series) - Removed
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Philosophy in Mind: The Place of Philosophy in the Study of Mind (Philosophical Studies Series) - Removed
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Birth of Thought in the Spanish Language: 14th century Hebrew-Spanish Philosophy (Philosophical Studies Series) [Spanish]
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Plato's Protagoras: Essays on the Confrontation of Philosophy and Sophistry (Philosophical Studies Series) - Removed
- 2017-11-30[PDF] The Epistemology of Keith Lehrer (Philosophical Studies Series) (Volume 95) - Removed
- 2017-10-15[PDF] The Concept of Time in Early Twentieth-Century Philosophy: A Philosophical Thematic Atlas (Studies in Applied Philosophy, Epistemology and Rational Ethics) - Removed
- 2020-02-04Psychosyntax: The Nature of Grammar and its Place in the Mind (Philosophical Studies Series)
- 2019-12-05The Ethics of Medical Data Donation (Philosophical Studies Series)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Ethics and Policies for Cyber Operations: A NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence Initiative (Philosophical Studies Series) - Removed
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Knowledge and Reality: Essays in Honor of Alvin Plantinga (Philosophical Studies Series) - Removed
- 2018-01-14[PDF] The Long Quest for Identity: Political Identity and Fundamental Rights Protection in the European Union (Lisbon Philosophical Studies - Uses of Languages in Interdisciplinary Fields)
- 2018-01-09[PDF] Wanting and Intending: Elements of a Philosophy of Practical Mind (Philosophical Studies Series) - Removed
- 2018-01-03[PDF] The Expression of Emotion: Philosophical, Psychological and Legal Perspectives (Studies in Emotion and Social Interaction)
- 2017-12-30[PDF] The Principles of Buddhist Psychology (Suny Series in Buddhist Studies)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] The Concept of Argument: A Philosophical Foundation (Logic, Argumentation & Reasoning) - Removed
- 2017-12-07[PDF] The Concept of Non-International Armed Conflict in International Humanitarian Law (Cambridge Studies in International and Comparative Law)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] The Color Revolution (Lemelson Center Studies in Invention and Innovation series)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Ethics and War in the 21st Century (LSE International Studies Series)
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Religion, Narrative and Public Imagination in South Asia: Past and Place in the Sanskrit Mahabharata (Routledge Hindu Studies Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.