Posted on 2017-12-14, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Susan Jacoby | Publisher: Yale University Press | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 0300205783 | ISBN13: 9780300205787 |
Description: An easy to read and engaging biography of this not well-known American hero of liberty, science, human rights, and irreligion. The story of his life is woven into the examination of his liberal progressive positions on social issue of his day, which seem to be many of the issue we are debating still. The short, concise book is a good introduction to Ingersoll if you know little of him and is also interesting to Ingersoll-philes by organizing the chapters thematically around the causes and issues he advocated. So, rather than a strictly chronological read, Jacoby dives, one by one, into the major topics of his many speeches, and interviews: Science, including Darwin's Theory of Evolution separation of church and state free speech, especially blasphemy women's rights and equality Humanism and Freethinking and his criticism of the Bible, church, and preachers. The value of a new, modern biography is that it can show us how relevant the work of its subject can still be to us today. With references to recent current events, people and debates, she illustrates how Ingersoll's words and arguments are still relevant. She closes with a chapter addressed to the so called `new atheists' advising that they should be learning from Ingersoll and giving him credit for having advanced the conversation challenging religion over 120 years ago. Highly recommended. If you have never heard of Ingersoll, you will ask yourself, "Why haven't I ever heard of this man before?"
The Great Agnostic: Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34388
- 2017-01-16[PDF] The Great Agnostic: Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought
- 2018-01-15[PDF] The Great Convergence: Information Technology and the New Globalization
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The Great Conspiracy, Its Origin and History.
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Great Rebalancing: Trade, Conflict, and the Perilous Road Ahead for the World Economy
- 2017-12-13[PDF] The Flawed Architect: Henry Kissinger and American Foreign Policy
- 2017-11-30[PDF] The Diffident Naturalist: Robert Boyle and the Philosophy of Experiment (Science and Its Conceptual Foundations series)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the unthinkable - Removed
- 2017-11-22[PDF] The Great Divide: Unequal Societies and What We Can Do About Them
- 2017-11-10[PDF] The Great Book of Puzzles and Teasers
- 2017-10-25[PDF] The Great Escape: Health, Wealth, and the Origins of Inequality
- 2017-10-24[PDF] The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy. - Removed
- 2017-10-15[PDF] The Great War Between Athens And Sparta: A Companion To The Military History Of Thucydides
- 2017-10-07[PDF] The Great Encounter of China and the West, 1500D1800 (Critical Issues in World and International History)
- 2017-04-07[PDF] The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York - Removed
- 2017-02-10[PDF] The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York - Removed
- 2017-02-10[PDF] The Great Divide: Unequal Societies and What We Can Do About Them
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Diffident Naturalist: Robert Boyle and the Philosophy of Experiment (Science and Its Conceptual Foundations series)
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Flawed Architect: Henry Kissinger and American Foreign Policy
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.