Posted on 2018-08-14, by nokia241186.
The Bonanza King: John Mackay and the Battle over the Greatest Riches in the American West by Gregory Crouch
English | June 19, 2018 | ISBN: 1501108190 | EPUB | 480 pages | 68.2 MB
The rags-to-riches American frontier tale of an Irish immigrant who outwits, outworks, and outmaneuvers thousands of rivals to take control of Nevada's Comstock Lode-the rich body of gold and silver so immensely valuable that it changed the destiny of the United States.
Born in 1831, John W. Mackay was a penniless Irish immigrant who came of age in New York City, went to California during the Gold Rush, and mined without much luck for eight years. When he heard of riches found on the other side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in 1859, Mackay abandoned his claim and walked a hundred miles to the Comstock Lode in Nevada.
Over the course of the next dozen years, Mackay worked his way up from nothing, thwarting the pernicious "Bank Ring" monopoly to seize control of the most concentrated cache of precious metals ever found on earth, the legendary "Big Bonanza," a stupendously rich body of gold and silver ore discovered 1,500 feet beneath the streets of Virginia City, the ultimate Old West boomtown. But for the ore to be worth anything it had to be found, claimed, and successfully extracted, each step requiring enormous risk and the creation of an entirely new industry.
Now Gregory Crouch tells Mackay's amazing story-how he extracted the ore from deep underground and used his vast mining fortune to crush the transatlantic telegraph monopoly of the notorious Jay Gould. When Mackay died in 1902, front-page obituaries in Europe and the United States hailed him as one of the most admired Americans of the age. Featuring great period photographs and maps, The Bonanza King is a dazzling tour de force, a riveting history of Virginia City, Nevada, the Comstock Lode, and America itself.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36941
- 2020-05-12King John: Treachery and Tyranny in Medieval England: The Road to Magna Carta - Removed
- 2017-10-13[PDF] King John: Treachery and Tyranny in Medieval England: The Road to Magna Carta - Removed
- 2012-01-11Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2012-01-08Word Histories and Mysteries: From Abracadabra to Zeus - Editors Of The American Heritage Dictionaries
- 2011-05-21The American Heritage Book of English Usage: A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English
- 2022-08-31The Cowboy Capitalist John Hays Hammond, the American West, and the Jameson Raid in South Africa
- 2021-12-13Mountain Man John Colter, the Lewis & Clark Expedition, and the Call of the American West [Audiobook]
- 2018-09-23The Promise of the Grand Canyon John Wesley Powell's Perilous Journey and His Vision for the American West - Removed
- 2018-08-01The Promise of the Grand Canyon John Wesley Powell's Perilous Journey and His Vision for the American West - Removed
- 2017-12-05[PDF] A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn - the Last Great Battle of the American West
- 2017-02-06[PDF] A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn - the Last Great Battle of the American West
- 2013-01-14A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn - the Last Great Battle of the American West
- 2012-06-07Retreat, Hell! We Just Got Here: The American Expeditionary Force in France 1917-18 (Osprey General Military) - Removed
- 2012-05-20Over There!: The American Soldier in World War I (The G.I.Series #7)
- 2012-01-31The American West: Competing Visions - Karen Jones, John Wills
- 2012-01-16Yellow Eyes - John Ringo And Tom Kratman
- 2012-01-09The American West: Competing Visions - Karen Jones, John Wills
- 2012-01-05Yellow Eyes - John Ringo And Tom Kratman
- 2012-01-04Yellow Eyes - John Ringo And Tom Kratman
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.